Ir al contenido principal

What I want my loved ones to know about anxiety.

Living with anxiety is surely no piece of cake... It comes and goes in the most unexpected ways. You might be having a great day and all if a sudden it gets ruined by anxiety. It might be triggered by something you hear, something you see, a comment someone makes to you, or for no reason at all.

When I'm feeling anxious and someone asks me "Are you okay?" or "How are you doing?", I'll probably want to cry for help, but I'll most likely end up lying and saying "I'm fine". And here's a few reasons why:

1. My anxiety tells that I am a burden.

Anxiety can make you think poorly about yourself. It might tell you are worthless, it might tell you that the ones you love would be better off without you, it might tell you that by speaking about how you feel you are only bringing trouble or discomfort to your loved ones. (I don't want to worry you)

2. I don't want wear you out.

Anxiety can be hard and overwhelming not only for the ones experiencing it, but for their loved ones. Maybe you won't know how to help me and that will drain you as much as it drains me.

3. I don't want to disappoint you.

Like I said, anxiety comes and goes, and I am afraid if I've been good for a while and anxiety comes back, you might think all my progress has gone to waste. 

4. I don't want to feel judged or invalidated.

In plenty of occasions when I've decided to speak up, I've had responses like "your are too negative", "your shouldn't worry so much about that", "you never look at the bright side", "you are always expecting the worst", "you have no reason to feel that way", "it is absurd that you are worried about that", "it is absurd to think/feel that way", "what you are saying doesn't make any sense".

It is truth, the thoughts and feelings generated by anxiety may not make any sense at all. Mental health conditions, may not make any sense at all. I don't expect you to understand why or how I'm feeling, but I would like for you to try and listen, just listen, make no judgement. Offer me comfort, offer me love, offer a hug, a shoulder to cry on, a safe space, remind me that everything is just fine. 

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

How my suicide attempt saved my life

“When you don't want to feel, death can seem like a dream. But seeing death, really seeing it, makes dreaming about it fucking ridiculous. Maybe, there's a moment growing up when something peels back... Maybe, maybe, we look for secrets because we can't believe our minds…” -Susanna Kaysen, Girl, Interrupted. My depression and anxiety had taken control of me, I felt stuck and scared, completely worthless and unlovable. I couldn’t stand my own existence, I had been self harming, having constant panic attacks, the voice in my head kept telling me that the people I loved would be better off without me, that someone else in the world deserved my place more than I did. I was having a rough day, I was lonely, I had no more will power left, no more energy, I exhausted. I didn’t wanted to feel anything anymore, anything at all I wanted to end to it. So I took some pills... I remember as I was taking a bath, I started feeling dizzy and fainted, my mom managed to get me o

Anxiety

I am breathing quite heavily because it feels like I can't catch air, I feel like I am about to throw up, like my throat  is being pressed , like I am carrying  the heaviest burden on my chest and shoulders, I have a terrible stomach ache, my head hurts, my whole body is shaking  uncontrollably , it feels like my heart has been replaced  by a rock, my ears are buzzing. I know I am doing this to myself and I know it is not fair. I should be enjoying myself. I need some kind of interaction and my parents are in the living-room with my aunt and uncle, but I can't handle that much people. I can't stop thinking about how happy and safe I would feel if I was spending this moment with one of my loved ones. I know I could make myself feel happy and safe, but it feels like I've forgotten how to do it, anxiety took control. I want to punch a wall, I want to hurt myself and snap back, feel present. I've been feeling way too much lately... but I've been here before and I

The first step of recovery: accepting your diagnosis

When you are first diagnosed with a condition you might not know how to take it, or what to do next… When I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, generalized anxiety disorder and depression (about two years ago), I decided to dismiss my diagnosis because I did not believed in mental illness. I believed if I did acknowledged it I meant that I was admitting to be a failure, to be broken, to be defective, that it was like feeling pity for myself, I was ashamed of the fact that I sometimes wasn’t able to control myself or my what goes on in my mind. I managed to be “stable” for a while, but then I had a relapse. It caused me  A LOT of problems: at work, in my academic life, with my family, my friends, my relationship… It felt like my hole world was crumbling apart, I was putting everything I need to do on hold, cancelling plans, loosing friendships, bursting out in rage, self-harming, hurting everyone around me. I didn’t knew how to get better, it felt like took one step